Saturday, April 30, 2011

Baby Update #3...."My 'Almost' Birth Story"

This pregnancy has been an adventure so far, and when I do have this baby, I am going to have nothing left to write about :)
Yesterday morning I went in to my regularly scheduled non-stress test. I made sure to eat and drink right before so that it would come out good. Also, in my favor was the fact that I was officially 32 weeks, which is supposed to mean better results....anyways, I went in and was welcomed by all of the staff that have come to know, and I am sure love, me, lol=)) I was hooked up and in about 15 minutes my Dr came in very concerned and told me to go straight to labor & delivery...I wasn't worried since I had done this a couple of weeks ago, so I called my husband and told him I was going to go over and I would let him know if I needed him, but would probably be home soon.
When I got there they brought me to the triage and hooked me up. I drank some water and turned on the Food network. After about an hour the nurse came in and told me that the hospital's perinatologist was watching my NST and he did not like what he saw. I was sent downstairs for another biophysical profile ultrasound, but this time it took 30 minutes...she measured everything, and told me baby was 4 lbs. and everything looked perfect! That was so reassuring.
After I went back upstairs I was hooked up for another hour of monitoring and nothing really changed, but I wasn't really worried since this is what it has been doing for the last 3 weeks. The nurse came in and told me the perinatologist still wasn't liking the results and the that he ordered a drug test for me, also for me to have oxygen and IV fluids. I hate getting IV's so I wasn't very excited about that. After getting the IV, 3 nurses came in and started acting kind of funny. They were asking a bunch of questions, so I assumed I was being admitted for overnight monitoring. I got a little nervous when they were asking about the last thing I ate, etc, since those are the questions they usually ask when I am about to deliver.
They didn't really tell me anything, but then again I was too scared to ask. They were being extra nice though....anyways, then my Dr walked in and I smiled and she didn't smile back. This is when I got really nervous. She told me that her and the perinatologist had been monitoring me for the last 4 hours and it looked really bad. She said they both agreed that the best option for baby was an immediate C-section. I told her I wanted to get ahold of my husband so that I could have him call my mom to drive down to watch the kids, and she said that was fine and that they would continue to monitor while I did that. She told me to go ahead and make my phone calls and she left.
I called Matt and as soon as he answered, I lost it. I told him that I was pretty sure they were doing a C-section in the next hour or two and he prayed with me, which of course made me cry more. After I hung up with him, my Dr came back to see if I was ok. I had so many questions, especially about the chances of baby Joy being ok at 32 weeks. She said she would have the neonatal ICU nurse come in and talk to me. She left and I was there alone with my thoughts and my big, scary oxygen mask. I was very worried, and for those that know me, I don't get worried easily. I prayed and I sought peace from the Lord. I wanted so badly for it to just be over, but not the way it was about to be. A girl came in and took my blood, and then my nurse came back with all of the paperwork for me to sign my life away. I signed for the C-section, and for the anesthesia, and for all of the other "risk" forms I had to sign. It was awful. After she left, I just waited, it seemed like forever! Then Mat  finally came in! He hugged me and didn't say anything, which I needed. He's so great! He even packed me a hospital bag and had some little tiny baby clothes....did I mention that he is so great??
About 10 minutes after he got there my Dr walked in smiling and said the baby all of the sudden looked great! As she put it "the best that she has ever looked!" I was shocked! She said she was no longer planning on doing the C Section, and you have no idea the relief that I felt! It was such a huge, HUGE answered prayer!! I knew I had so many people praying, and that was such a comfort. She said I was once again severely dehydrated and that I needed to be getting more rest at home...
She left to deliver another baby and while she was gone stinker baby Joy decided to act up again! She decided to admit me overnight said I could *possibly* still have the c section in the morning...I moved to a real room and was finally allowed to eat! (they wouldn't feed me earlier because of the c section)
I hung out with Matt for a while and it was such a nice peaceful feeling=) When he left I went to sleep. I had a pretty good night and spent a little while googling 32 week baby survival stories....and just like I had thought, they have a great chance. The Lord filled me with peace and then I knew that if she decided  in the morning that a c section was necessary, I was ready.
In the morning the nurses said she did well overnight. They slowed the IV and had me eat breakfast. Then I went down for another BPP U/S which baby passed with flying colors...again!! (my little genius) When I went upstairs L& D was crazy. I guess they had a few scary emergency situations, and my heart went out to those mommies! My Dr came in and said baby looked "ok" but not as good as she looked the night before, BUT good enough that we could go home!! I was SO happy.
My orders were lots of rest and fluids and I go back tomorrow to be monitored again. I am so thankful for all of the prayers that went up for myself and Barbara Joy =) And, I am so thankful that the Lord had her "behaving" on the monitors at just the right time...He is so good to me!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, Barbie! I'm so glad you're still pregnant! LOL! I'm praying for you and little Barbara Joy, and I trust that she will be fine, no matter what.. I bet you can't wait to meet her, and I won't be surprised if she's a little drama queen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is Good!!! Can't wait to meet little Miss Barbara Joy!!!! but till then. . . we keep praying :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will continue praying! I'm glad to hear that for now, everything looks good. God is good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, friend. My mom told me about what was going on and I prayed for you. Andrew was born at 31 weeks. I actually started dilating at 22 weeks and I was told that if I delivered before 24 weeks that there was nothing they could do for him. It IS very scary, but there is a lot they can do nowadays. I'll continue praying that Barbara Joy is patient enough to wait until full term, but if she isn't, remember you're in the hands of the Great Physician - He is most capable to handle everything! Feel free to call, txt, email, facebook, etc. if you ever need anything or want to talk or have preemie questions answered. Wish I was there to help because I know what you're going through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my daughters water broke at 31 weeks and noah was born 2 weeks later, and thank god hes doing great . miraculous things happen. the technology these days is amazing . your strong faith and everyones prayers will carry you through this .I pray this will all be behind you soon and you will have your precious healthy baby in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer RobertsMay 1, 2011 at 4:30 PM

    Grandma Smith told me what all was going one yesturday and we started praying right away. We will continue to pray for you and baby Joy. Don't forget the Master of the wind can whisper peace or guide you through the storm either way He is a great God. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you everyone for your prayers and kind words!!

    ReplyDelete