Monday, April 25, 2011

Ministry Monday: From the Missionary's Wife, Mrs. Sarah LeClercq


Name- Sarah LeClercq
Husband’s Position- Missionary
How long have you been married? 8 years
How many children? How old are they? We have 3 children! Nathanael is7 today, Ethaen is 5, and Kathrynn is 2
  1. What field are you and your husband going to? We are going to the island of Guam!
  2. Did you feel the same call as your husband to that specific location, or did you just feel the call to follow your husband? I grew up wanting to be a missionary. When I met my husband in Bible college I knew he was called to Guam. I knew without a doubt he was the man I was to marry, so I knew without a doubt I was called to Guam. However, when we took our survey trip, I begged God to give me a heart for the island like my husband had. Through different situations God did just that for me. I can not wait to get there.
  3. How long have you been traveling on deputation?3 and half years!
  4. What is the hardest thing about being on deputation? For me it was learning to be flexible and just go with the flow. I love schedules and stability(what lady doesn’t) and deputation does not always follow a set schedule.
  5. What do enjoy the most about being on deputation? We love getting to travel as a family and seeing our wonderful country. Deputation has been such a big blessing to our family, my kids have seen and done more in the 3 years on deputation than most people will do their entire lives.
  6. How do you keep your children excited about being a “missionary” with constant travel and being in church all of the time? We are always telling them how special we are to get to be missionaries! When they would start to say the wished we were home we would start reminding them of all the things that they have gotten to do that their friends at home do not get to do! My kids have been spoiled by deputation, and I thank God for that!
  7. Do you feel the burden of having well behaved children at all times? Yes, but let me say I put the pressure on me more than any one else ever did. We have never had a pastor tell us anything negative about our kids. I was the one who freaked out about their behavior. I had to learn that God was in control of our support. I was going to do the best I could and that is what I told the kids, do your best. I was also always ready to deal with any misbehavior and they knew it! If a situation arose and I needed to be excused the host Pastor was very understanding.
  8. What is the most encouraging thing that a Pastor’s wife could do or say to you regarding your children? Let them know if their children are behaving. It would encourage me when I was told that I was doing a good job. Also, be understanding, those kids spend a lot of time in the car.
  9. Do you always have the option of a Nursery in churches or do you sometimes have to take children who are not ready yet into services? And for those churches where there is no nursery, do you wish they would make a special exception for your family while you are there? No, we did not always have an option. When we started deputation my boys were 2 and 3 and we did not always have a class or nursery for them. I started training them early, but there were times I would just sit with them in a room. I would always send the nursery worker out if it was just my children. I wanted them to get the burden for our field and so I would do nursery. I never expected them to have nursery just for me. We were there to be a blessing and if my doing nursery accomplished that, that is what I did.
  10. What is the best thing (other than prayer) that a church can do for your family u give to your family? Let them know you remember them. Send them cards, letters, and emails. Know their birthdays, anniversaries, and let them know you remember.
  11. What are some things that churches do for you that may not be a help to you? I really do not know, I do not want to sound ungrateful in any way. I know for us the baskets were always a great encouragement, but they were hard to travel with!
  12. Do you prefer to stay in a hotel, mission’s apartment, or the home of a church member? Personally, I prefer to stay in a hotel or missions apartment. I was always a nervous wreck when I knew we were staying with someone. Let me say, we have never stayed in a bad home or a place that we had a horrible experience. God was so good to us. Staying in our place gave us a little more freedom to be a family, and stick to our own schedule.
  13. What is the best thing a Pastor’s Wife can do to make you feel comfortable in her church? Talk to me about my field, ask me what my responsibility is, show an interest in what I will be doing, not just my husband.
  14. What is the best thing that the ladies of the church can do for you? Pretty much the same thing. Take a special interest in the ladies position on the field. Take time to come see our table!
  15. Do you ever feel that you have to be “fake” at a new church to be accepted as a missionary? (For instance, do you feel the need to always smile, be social, and be positive about every aspect of your ministry and deputation) I learned early on that I wore my attitude on my face, I am not very good at pretending. I knew first impressions were important, so I would always try to smile. The hardest part for me was going up and talking with someone. I had to leave my comfort zone. Deputation is my ministry right now, so I am supposed to be positive and smile. When asked, I would tell someone about struggles on deputation, but it was in a joking, laughing kind of way. When I was young I remembered missionaries wives and some of them you would look at and be scared to talk too (they looked mean) Others would go out of their way to make me feel important. I remember one to this day, she was so sweet and she talked to just me and that is what I try to do. I just try to encourage those at the church.
  16. What kind of church makes you “feel at home”? A friendly church!
  17. Who are your best friends and what do they do that encourages you? I have 3 really close friends(aside from my husband) and we are all in the ministry somewhere. They help me to understand the “pastor's side” of missions, while I can give them the missionaries side. They send me emails, notes and just texts! We pray for each other and follow up with each other.
  18. Any “horror “stories you’d like to share? No, God has been so good to us!
  19. What has been the biggest blessing so far about being “on the road”? Seeing my children learn at an early age just how big our God is. They have seen more blessings and answer to prayers then most kids their age have.
  20. Do you ever get worried that your children will resent the ministry and the fact that you took them from America, away from their family and friends? In the beginning I did. However, now that they are older and they understand what a missionary does it has gotten easier. Our children do not see it as leaving home, but rather going home. My husband and I have worked hard to teach them that Guam is home!
  21. What are your biggest fears and challenges about raising your children in a different culture? Guam is an American territory so the culture is not too different. The people do have a different culture, but they speak English and use US currency. I worry about boundaries, I know I have to be careful who my kids are friends with, but I also know that I can not come across snobby or stuck up.
  22. How do you plan on managing the lonely times (holidays, etc) without your family and friends in the States? Up until now, I really have not thought about it. With technology it is a lot easier. I guess I would handle it like I do now. Go to my quiet place, cry, eat chocolate, and tell God, and read some verses , and eat chocolate!
  23. What do you do to encourage yourself in the Lord? I love waking up before my family and reading and praying, however during the day when feeling overwhelmed I turn on instrumental music, usually hymns and it helps calm everyone down.
  24. Do you have a hard time sharing your burdens with your husband for fear of discouraging him? Sometimes, however he can usually tell when something is wrong, and he is real good at telling me how it is. He also gives good insight.
  25. What do you do to encourage your husband? you just hold him and spend time with him. He does not need me to start rambling scripture and saying stuff he already knows, he just needs me. The time will come later to share my thoughts. I also need that time to think and know what to say to him. I do not want to react, to who or whatever is discouraging him, I want to make sure I have the right attitude when I speak. (I take it very personal when someone attacks my man!!)
  26. What is your favorite Scripture? Psalms 37:4-5
  27. What is your favorite song? Day by Day
  28. How do you fit in your personal time with the Lord each day? I get up before my family. It is my favorite part of the day. It is quiet and the new day is before me and its not messed up....yet!!
  29. What is the most important thing you have learned so far about being in the ministry? I can not do it on my own. Ps. 73:26 “My flesh and my heart faileth:but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.”

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah! I love that verse too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah for sharing! I love reading stories related to missionaries! I did not know they spoke English in the Island of Guam. May God continue to bless you, your family and future work in Guam!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbie...thank you for taking the time to keep up this blog. It has already been an encouragement to me. Sometimes it feels like you are alone in the ministry and it is nice to be reminded that you are not :) Sarah, thanks for being so open and honest. You were an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete