Monday, April 11, 2011

Ministry Monday!! Ms. Jeanette Baird *Wife of the Week*


Name- Jeanette Baird            
Husband’s Position- Pastor
How long have you been married? Will be 8 years in May
How many children/grandchildren do you have? How old are they? I have 3 children
Jessica – 6; Nathanael – 4 ½; and Samuel – 9 weeks 
1.      How long have you been in the ministry? Will be 5 years the first Sunday in May
2.      What “positions” has your husband had since being in the ministry.  Pastor
3.      How did you know the Lord wanted you in the ministry? Was it hard for you to submit to that or did you know 100% sure right away that this is what God wanted for your life? I knew I wanted to be in the ministry since I was a little girl, but as I got older I thought it was the thing I was suppose to do. The Lord worked  in my life and heart and I knew I was suppose to be in the ministry.
4.      How old were you when you your husband first held a position of leadership? 23
5.      And if you were young, did you have a hard time adjusting because of your age? Did you feel “ready” to be in that position? Did you feel you had a harder time being respected or taken seriously because of your age? I had a really hard time adjusting. I felt so inadequate, and I didn’t think I was ready, but my husband was. I felt I had a hard time with some people, but with others they accepted me and my age right away. I felt I had to prove myself, and there are times I still feel that way. I have some ladies who support me, and all that I do, and that is such a blessing.
6.      Once you had children did you find you did less in the ministry and was that hard for you? I do a lot of work from home, because I don’t want my kids at the church all the time. I want church to be special, not a place they are at all the time. There are some ministries that I am not involved in as much anymore because it interferes with school, but I am learning to allow others to be involved. I find it easier to give up ministries to allow others the opportunity to serve the Lord.
7.      What are some ways you included and involved your children in the ministry?
a.      Baby… visitation sometimes, take them to preacher’s meetings
b.      Toddler…visitation (people will take tracts from a child!) clean the church; preacher’s meetings
c.       School age…visitation, cleaning the church, preacher’s meetings, they love to sing at church
8.      Did you ever worry that your children would resent the ministry and what are some ways you tried to make it fun for them? I do sometimes because I have seen it happen. I want them to enjoy serving the Lord, and I want them to desire to serve the Lord. We have fun, and I believe our attitude is vital to the way our children will view the ministry. We are teaching them to love the Lord, and love serving Him. We don’t talk bad about the church or the people in the church to our children. We don’t act like serving the Lord is a burden, but a blessing. We also don’t make them do everything. There are times that daddy goes out and ministers and we stay home.
9.      What would be the best thing you would tell a mom who is raising her children in the ministry? Your children come first, and don’t let anyone make you feel bad for not being involved in every ministry at church.
10.  What do you do to encourage your husband when he is discouraged with the work? I pray for him, and remind him of his calling.
11.  How do deal with any criticism toward your husband from others? I have a hard time with this. I have to remember to love those people, because the Lord does. I have to remember that they are struggling with their relationship with the Lord, and so I need to specifically pray for them so I don’t get bitter feelings.
12.  Have you/ Do you set aside date nights/days with your husband? We don’t, but are working on it
13.  What is the biggest thing you have learned about being married to a man in the ministry? People use and abuse him. He can pour his heart and soul into them, just to have some of them hurt him. I have also learned to be more compassionate, because of his example.
14.   What are some ways you protect your husband from “those” women in the church? I tell him when any lady makes me feel uncomfortable. He knows that I am not out to get anyone so he listens and heeds to what I am saying. I watch them carefully, and I make sure I am around when they are around.
15.  Do you and your husband have devotion or prayer time together daily? We don’t daily
16.  Do you have a hard time sharing your burdens with your husband in fear that it will discourage him? I do sometimes, because he already has many burdens on his shoulder. He tells me to talk with him though, and he reminds me that he is my husband before he is their pastor. I still struggle, but am working on it.
17.  What do you do to encourage yourself in the Lord? Read my Bible and pray. I also listen to good music.
18.  What is your favorite Scripture? I love the book of Philippians, and Ps. 51
19.  Do you have a favorite song? Set my Soul Afire Lord
20.  Do you have find that you are not able to have close lady friends in your church? Yes, and I learned that the hard way.
21.  Do you have other lady ministry friends that you go to for counsel and “venting” purposes? I do, and am so thankful for them.
22.  Other than praying, what is the most encouraging thing ladies in the church can do for you? Tell me they are praying for me, and that they support me
23.  What is your favorite way to serve the Lord in your church? Ladies meetings and our ladies retreat.
24.  In all of your business, how do you fit your personal time in with the Lord each day? Right now I am struggling with a specific time during the day, so I do it when I can. Sometimes its morning, sometimes afternoon, sometimes evening.
25.  Out of all that you have learned being in the full time ministry, what is the most important thing you have learned? I have to continue to have a relationship with the Lord, because without that, I will struggle with the ministry, I won’t be able to help anyone, and I won’t be the wife and mother I need to be. I also have learned that it’s ok that I don’t do everything, and I can’t worry about what others think. I have to do what the Lord wants me to do, and not what people think I am suppose to do.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle BlanchetteApril 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

    Good job Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jeanette! As a child of the ministry, I know how important it is to balance the needs of the family with the work of the ministry. It sounds like you have a plan in place to give your children the BEST of both family and ministry. Although I do not know you, THANK YOU, for raising your family faithfully and serving the LORD alongside your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another encouraging testimony! thanks for sharing Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeanette! You are such a blessing and encouragement to other ladies like me who love the Lord and want to be an encouragement to their Pastor's wife. God Bless you and your family!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete