Monday, March 28, 2011

Ministry Monday! Ms. Sammie Inman "Wife of the Week!!"

Husband’s Position- Assistant Pastor Southwest Baptist Oklahoma City
How long have you been married? 29 years this April 10th
How many children/grandchildren do you have? How old are they? We have 4 sons, Aaron 25, Daniel 23, David 21 and Caleb 19. We have 2 grandsons, Nathaniel 2 yrs. and Bradley 2 months.


1. How long have you been in the ministry? We have been full-time for 27 years.
2. What “positions” has your husband had since being in the ministry. Ted has been the youth pastor, bus pastor, children’s director, music director, Sunday school administrator, Young Married’s teacher and Assistant Pastor.
3. How did you know the Lord wanted you in the ministry? Was it hard for you to submit to that or did you know 100% sure right away that this is what God wanted for your life? My dad was a pastor and I was resistant in high school to that life, but when I met Ted it wasn’t a difficult decision.
4. How old were you when you your husband first held a position of leadership? I was 22.
5. And if you were young, did you have a hard time adjusting because of your age? Did you feel “ready” to be in that position? Did you feel you had a harder time being respected or taken seriously because of your age? I felt very young and overwhelmed. Even more so when we went to Southwest and I was 30.
6. Once you had children did you find you did less in the ministry and was that hard for you? I did do less because my children were so close together, but my husband made me understand they were my first responsibility, but I have always felt I must know from the Lord what I can do and to make sure I did not use them as an excuse to not serve.
7. What are some ways you included and involved your children in the ministry?
a. Baby… We took them everywhere we went (Youth activities, hospital visits ect.
b. Toddler… the same
c. School age… we visited the bus route with them, sang with Ted, camps ect.
d. Teen… They helped clean the nursery, worked in Bible school, but by that time they were visiting and very involved with the youth group.
8. Did you ever worry that your children would resent the ministry and what are some ways you tried to make it fun for them? That is always a danger, but I think the biggest thing that made a difference was making sure that Ted spent everyday off with them. He did not have outside hobbies that took him away from the family.
9. What would be the best thing you would tell a mom who is raising her children in the ministry? Your first responsibility aside from the Lord is to your husband. Work on that relationship. Your second is to your children and everything else comes after that. Don’t talk about church matters and give the children a negative view of serving. Emphasis the positives. Your attitude is the biggest influence on your children.
10. What do you do to encourage your husband when he is discouraged with the work? I am my husband’s biggest cheerleader! It is a joke that every night before we go to sleep I tell him that I love him and he is my best friend. No outside relationship should be more important to you. Tuck notes in his suitcase when he travels. Take him treats at work. Be aware of his pressures and don’t put more on him with things that are trivial. Make home a place where he can relax. Make it clean and inviting. Listen to him. Be wise about giving advice. Pray for him.
11. How do deal with any criticism toward your husband from others? That is very, very difficult. Don’t listen to it if others try to “get your ear”. It is best to vent to the Lord. This takes so much grace. This brings out the mother bear in me when it comes to my husband or children, but that is not necessarily a positive thing and can make us say things we shouldn’t. God put him as the head and the Lord will be his defender if the criticism is unwarranted. Sometimes that criticism will make him mature and make needed changes in his life. Be careful what you say. The Lord may use that criticism in his life.
12. Have you/ Do you set aside date nights/days with your husband? That was very difficult when they were small. We spend everyday off together as a family and tried to get away when every possible.
13. What is the biggest thing you have learned about being married to a man in the ministry? It is a privilege and an honor, but also can be a challenge. One of the biggest things is the heavy responsibility that I feel to be the wife he needs. Many men have not been able to be the man God wants them to be, because of their wives.
14. What are some ways you protect your husband from “those” women in the church? I am grateful that my husband is wise in this area, but I have always tried to watch for him and clue him in if I think someone is paying too much attention to him. We are sometimes able to see things he can’t see.
15. Do you and your husband have devotion or prayer time together daily? We do not daily.
16. Do you have a hard time sharing your burdens with your husband in fear that it will discourage him? Yes, and sometimes I know I have been a discouragement to him, but that is the position God has put him in and most times the only person I need to be talking to about things. Men are fixers and I found it is helpful before I tell him of a problem to tell him that I just need him to listen and I am not looking for him to “fix” it. Sometimes I do need him to help me in a situation. Make it clear what you need. I hope that makes sense.
17. What do you do to encourage yourself in the Lord? Stay in the Word, pray, try to remember that this season of life is not forever. Allow the Lord to work.
18. What is your favorite Scripture? Isaiah 12:2 “ Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah I my strength and y song: He also is become my salvation.”
19. Do you have a favorite song? “Great Is Thy Faithfulness”
20. Do you have find that you are not able to have close lady friends in your church? I think I am strange, because I have always been content with my husband as my best friend, but I do know that can be difficult. I do have close friends that are in the ministry, but not in our church. They are a blessing to me.
21. Do you have other lady ministry friends that you go to for counsel and “venting” purposes? I do, but I try to be very careful what I say. I think that can be very helpful as long as you are confident that they will give Godly advise. I feel very honored when people call me and try my best to listen and give advice sparingly.
22. Other than praying, what is the most encouraging thing ladies in the church can do for you? It is encouraging when ladies see a need and offer to help with that need. Those needs change. Sometimes was an offer to watch the boys when I needed it or to help in the nursery so I didn’t have to work so much.
23. What is your favorite way to serve the Lord in your church? There are many things I love to do but the Lord has put me in charge of the nursery here at Southwest for the past 13 years. That is as big job and takes most of my time.
24. In all of your business, how do you fit your personal time in with the Lord each day? Sometimes the best I can do is read my Bible and pray in the bathtub. Like everyone else I do the best I can.
25. Out of all that you have learned being in the full time ministry, what is the most important thing you have learned? That is a hard one. First: it is an honor. Secondly: God has chosen me for this life and he knows best. That is a help when I feel so inadequate or overwhelmed. He is able to equip me for the job He has for me to do. Thirdly: I am the wife God has chosen for my husband and the mother God has chosen for my children. I need to allow God to make me what I need to be. Fourthly: Allow God to work things out in His time.

7 comments:

  1. This was such a major encouragement to me, Ms. Sammie!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle BlanchetteMarch 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM

    I am so looking forward to this every week! Thanks Mrs. Sammie for sharing and Barbie for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a blessing to read! I'm looking forward to more :) Thanks for putting this together Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it! Loved it! thank you so much for doing this Barbie and Mrs. Inman. What a blessing this was to read tonight. I LOVE down to earth people...makes me want to go get coffee with you, Mrs. Inman, and just sit and chat. Especially since I'm due any day now with possibly my 4th son! Boy, could I poke your brain on how to manage this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview, and so encouraging! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading this. It is encouraging reading about others in the ministry even though I do not personally know Mrs. Inman. Thanks Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary (Scott) BurnsApril 1, 2011 at 6:46 PM

    What a blessing blessing to read very excited to read more :) Thanks for sharing Ms. Sammie you are such an am amazing Titus 2 woman thanks for sharing! What a fun idea barbie you are so creative it is a privilege to know both of you ladies :)

    ReplyDelete