Monday, September 5, 2011

Mrs. Dixie Sasser-Wife of the Week


Husband’s Position - Missionary to the Jewish People
How long have you been married? almost 18 years
How many children do you have? We have 5 boys: Cody 17, Daniel 13, Joshua 9, Christopher 7, and Timothy 5
1. How did you meet your husband? I met my husband at a convenient store I was working at while I was in college.
2. When did you get saved? I got saved when I was 11 years old.
3. Please share your testimony. I got saved as a young girl and tried to live my best for the Lord, but unfortunately as a teenage girl I started to get away from Him. Looking back I see the chastening hand of the Lord upon my life and am so grateful for this.
4. How long have you been in the ministry? We have been in the ministry since 1999.
5.How did you know the Lord wanted you in the ministry? Was it hard for you to submit to that or did you know 100% sure right away that this is what God wanted for your life? My husband got a strong burden for the Jewish People in 1998 but did not get called to preach till 1999. I was willing to do whatever the Lord wanted and knew my place was to be submissive to my husband in whatever the Lord wanted out of his life. It wasn’t really hard for me to submit to the ministry as a whole; however at times it was hard to submit to certain aspects of the ministry.
6. How old were you when you your husband first held a position of leadership? I was 27 when John got called to preach.
7. And if you were young, did you have a hard time adjusting because of your age? Did you feel “ready” to be in that position?  I didn’t feel young at the time and compared to some I wasn’t but to others I was. My age didn’t seem to bother me.
8. Once you had children did you find you did less in the ministry and was that hard for you? I had children when we started in the ministry. As more came along I did find I wasn’t able to do as much in my husband’s ministry. However, I now had my own ministry raising my five boys for the Lord ,so in this ministry, which is my primary ministry (along with taking care of my husband), I have more time because my husband and I realized that this is where I needed to be and that this was a full-time job for me.
9. What are some ways you included and involved your children in the ministry? In the Jewish ministry I have always included the children. We of coarse travel with John and we do go out and visit with him. I would take the stroller out and go with him. This was always an open door because people just love babies and toddlers. Now that the children are getting older they are able to go with us in visitation. The boys help put up the tent during the tent meetings and this is a big help.
10.  Do you ever worry that your children would resent the ministry and what are some ways you tried to make it fun for them? I guess there is always a worry that the children would resent the ministry. I know the devil is after the children of every preacher. They have a tough time sometimes of not being able to do all that some other children get to do because we travel so much. We always try to make sure we spend time with them and do something fun with them were ever we go. We try to always keep an open line of communication with them concerning their feelings.
11. What would be the best thing you would tell a mom who is raising her children in the ministry? The best thing I could tell another mother is to not neglect your children for the ministry. Remember God made you to be “keeper at home”. Yes, you are there to help your husband but that is his ministry. God gave you a ministry and that is to take care of your husband and your children. Part of helping your husband is helping in the ministry, but never, never neglect your God given ministry “keeper at home”. I tried to be super woman and do it all and soon found myself burnt out. When I started to study God’s Word and saw that my place was as a “keeper at home” it really made me see that I was trying to do to much to look good in other peoples eyes.
12.Are you naturally a submissive person or do you sometimes have a hard time easily following your husband?  LOL, I don’t know any woman that is naturally submissive. I think that is part of our sinful nature. I do know some women who do have an “easier” time submitting. I use to have a hard time submitting to the leadership of my husband at times. It was then that I would have to go to the Lord in prayer. Now, I have an easier time with submission because I have learned that by submitting to my husband I am submitting to the Lord.
13.What do you do to encourage your husband when he is discouraged with the work? I try to just be extra conscience of his needs at that time and go out of my way to make things easier for him at home. I also realized a long time ago that these times are going to come and that I need to pray more fervently for my husband during this time.
14  How do deal with any criticism toward your husband from others? This is one of my weakest areas in my spiritual walk. I get in the flesh so bad when any one criticizes my husband. I really have to take time and calm down. I will admit I have spoken too quickly and gotten too angry over this. It is an area that I am working on. I am learning to turn it over to the Lord and not take man’s words to heart.
15.How do you deal with personal criticisms? Personal criticism does hurt me but I can get over it quicker than when someone criticizes my husband or children. I have learned that I can’t please everyone and that I only have to please the Lord first of all and then my husband. As long as these two are happy then I shouldn’t worry what others will say.
16. Do you set aside date nights/days with your husband? Now that my sons are older, we do try to get out once in awhile. Set date nights are hard since I don’t know what may be going on in our lives. We travel a lot and have a lot going on.
17.What is the biggest thing you have learned about being married to a man in the ministry? The biggest thing I have learned has been that life is full of surprises.
18.What are some ways you protect your husband from “those” women in the church? I give “those women” the evil eye. No really I just talk to my husband about the women that I have noticed who seem to maybe go out of their way for him or get his attention. My husband never counsels a woman alone and always makes sure that I am around or one of our sons when other women are at church.
19. Do you and your husband have devotion or prayer time together daily? We don’t have a devotion or prayer time with just us two. We daily do this as a family. We do talk a lot about our prayers and time with the Lord.
20.Do you have a hard time sharing your burdens with your husband in fear that it will discourage him?  I do have a hard time sometimes sharing my burdens with him for just that reason. My husband is my best friend but I do not want to overwhelm him. I do go to him with the important things but sometimes I try to keep the petty things to myself and work them out between me and the Lord. My husband has enough on him.
21. What do you do to encourage yourself in the Lord? I try to quote Bible verses and sing songs that magnify the Lord when I am going through a discouraging time. I start just thanking God for all the goodness in my life.
22. What is your favorite Scripture?  My favorite Scripture is Proverbs 14:1 “Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.”
23.Do you have a favorite song? No, I don’t have one favorite song.
24.What is your biggest struggle in the ministry? My biggest struggle in the ministry is feeling like I am not adequate enough for the Lord to use. I feel like I am always letting the Lord down and my family down. I let the devil defeat me in this area too much. I forget that the Lord uses the “foolish” to confound the wise. It is not that I am such a great wife and mother but it is I have such a great God to help me be a great mother and wife. I have a hard time believing that I am worthy to be called “blessed”.
25.Do you have find that you are not able to have close lady friends in your church? This is one area that I struggle with also. I don’t have any close relationships per se. I have friends all over the country and I am very grateful for that but I do miss being a part of a church group. I was able to have a lady’s Bible study when my husband was at Life and Liberty Baptist Church. (One of our supporting churches was about to close down so my husband went to over to help them as a pastor for a little over 3 years till they where able to get another pastor in. ) I miss just being a part of this and developing close relationships.
26.When you are discouraged, do you feel like you can “show” that feeling to ladies in the church? Or, do you feel like you always have to portray the “perfect” happy Pastor’s wife? My “church” is different ever week. No, I don’t feel like I can show this to the ladies and pastor’s wives at the churches we are at. How would it look for a grumpy missionary’s wife to come into service. I feel like during this time I have to “put on a smile” and be the happy missionary wife. I have days where I just don’t feel good but I don’t want to show it because I don’t want my actions to hurt my husband’s ministry and I am not at a church sometimes long enough for them to see that I am not usually like that but just having a “bad day”.
27.Have you ever made a big mistake or offended someone, and if yes, how did you go about restoring that relationship? Yes I have made mistakes and at times offended someone. I do try to go talk to that person but have found that sometimes it doesn’t always mend the mistake.
28.Do you have other lady ministry friends that you go to for counsel and “venting” purposes? I do have many other lady ministry friends but I don’t usually go to them for “venting”. I know many of them have a lot on their platters too. I try to seek counsel from some when I can.
29. Other than praying, what is the most encouraging thing ladies in the church can do for you?  The most encouraging thing that ladies can do for me is to just show genuine interest in my life and the ministry. When you see that someone really cares for you and are sincere that means a lot.
30.What is your favorite way to serve the Lord in your church?  I love to be able to do Ladies Meetings or Bible Studies. I get nervous doing them and feel unworthy but I will admit I love sharing things that the Lord has showed me through His Word.
31.Do you currently have special Ladies Bible Study, meetings, or fellowships? Since I am not a pastor’s wife I don’t have Bible Studies, and Oh, how I miss them.
32.What ways to you encourage your ladies to get involved in the work of the church?  I would try to teach them from the Bible and then lead by example.
33.What is the most important thing you want to pass down to your children? I want my children to see that serving the Lord is the most important thing in the world.
34. In all of your business, how do you fit your personal time in with the Lord each day? My personal time with the Lord is often the hardest time to fit in. I try to get up first thing and read and spend time with the Lord. I also find that sometimes I have to slip away for a quick alone time with the Lord doing the day.
35.Out of all that you have learned being in the full time ministry, what is the most important thing you have learned?  The most important thing that I have learned would have to be not to get to attached to this present world. I had to learn to let go of worldly possessions and to trust God to supply my needs. I have learned that so much of what we think is a “necessity” is not and that God will never let me go without my needs being met. I have learned that when you put God first that He will bless beyond all that you can imagine.
36.How would you describe the “perfect” Pastor’s wife? The “perfect” pastor’s wife (or missionary’s or evangelist’s) is one who realizes that she is not perfect in herself. She has to look to the Lord daily. She does fall but trusting in the Lord gets back up and goes on. She has her priorities in order: her walk with the Lord, then her family, and then the needs of the ladies in the church.

3 comments:

  1. Another Great post. I find these interviews so encouraging and this one gave us a look at someone whose ministry is a bit different that the ministry Frank and I are in. Thanks for the encouragement Mrs. Sasser. Reading about your life experiences has been a blessing to me. Loretta Donnelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a blessing! As a mom of 4 boys and a little girl I have struggled with trying to "do it all" and being frustrated at times when I couldn't participate in something because I needed to be with my children. God has really dealt with me about my family being my first ministry before everything else. Thanks for sharing! It was an encouragement, Deborah Booth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have known this family for several years now and they are such a blessing to our family. Mrs. Dixie is the sweetest and such a godly lady and I have learned so much from her. She is always an encouragement to me. Reading this has been a blessing and I thank God for her and her wonderful family!
    Sherri Brooks

    ReplyDelete